Wok in the oven? Assuming there are no wooden handles, can you place a wok in the oven for 300-500º heat? Any particular metal type I should look for? Can I get away with a cheapie wok?

AntoniaJames October 7, 2010

How long do you plan to put it in? Part of me says, sure, buy a cheapie wok because if you ruin it, you won't have lost much. Now, I'm really interested in what you end up doing, and how it turns out!! ;o)

aargersi October 7, 2010

What about the rounded bottom though? Buy a cheapie with a flat bottom so you don't have to worry about the ring thingy. And yeah - what'reya up to???

NakedBeet
NakedBeet October 7, 2010

No more than 2 hours? Don't remember the recipe, but I smoked a whole duck before in my dutch oven (over the stovetop, though) and I didn't like what happened to that. I have no more kitchen space and used what I had instead of getting a wok! I think I'll get a cheapie one, then.

anyone
anyone October 7, 2010

I avoid the one with the wood front handle doesn't allow for jumping, tossing or flipping the food in the pan (it gets in the way). I use the one that the restaurant supply stores carry. Fairly inexpensive.

Legally Delicious
Legally Delicious October 8, 2010

Most good woks are designed to withstand major heat, hotter than most of us with regular old stove-tops can generate. I don't think even 500 degrees would damage a well-made wok. (I could be wrong; if so, sorry!) No wood, no non-stick surface, or the heat will damage it. If it has a rounded bottom, you can crumple up foil to make a "bed" for it so it will sit upright and avoid the "ring thingy."