Potatoes starting to get a green coat

I know that potatoes with considerable green outer layer are poisonous so I always discard those, but sometimes I'd have a basket of a couple of pounds or so, that have not been kept in a completely dark place and develop a slight greenish tint fairly quickly (especially spring potatoes). I usually peel those thicker (even though I usually only wash new potatoes with a brush) , but sometimes they still seem to have a sourish taste. I was wondering if anyone happens to have an advice on what could be done? Any kitchen tricks that can reverse the traces of the process? Thanks.

asked by Droplet about 7 years ago

The traces can't be reversed, you can only peel until you have white. The green is chloryphill (how do your spell that?) and indicates a high level of solanine. Also makes the potato bitter. Too cold, too warm have the potatoes turn green. http://www.nytimes.com...

Chlorophyll is the spelling, but yes, SKK (close enough!) has the story that there is no going back. It's important to keep potatoes in the dark.

Panfusine

Stick them into a container with potting soil & let them grow..the plants are actually quite pretty!

Droplet

I knew it is the chlorophyll that makes them green but didn't know about the solanine. Thanks for the article SKK.
As long as you have extra yard space, that may not be such a bad idea, Panfusine. I guess if the solanine's main purpose is to keep bugs away, then maybe these would give a successful harvest at least.

LucyS

I tend to buy potatoes and then forget I have them, so I leave them in the fridge. I haven't had them turn green in there.