Pink Shrimp from Argentina - How do they compare?

My local market has what they are calling Argentinian Pink Shrimp. The shell appears to be thicker than Key West Pink Shrimp. Anyone ever eaten this type of shrimp? If yes, how does the taste and texture compare?

asked by CaryNC about 5 years ago

I haven't had them, but I've heard other rave about the ones you can sometimes ffind frozen at Trader Joe's. They never stay in stock very long, so I'd give them a go.

Yes I have eaten the Argentina shrimp they are sweeter than your regular shrimp almost like lobster very tasty. Yes, a little thicker in the shell so you if you cook them with the shell on cook them a little longer then other shrimp. Also, I've gotten my shrimp from Harris Teeter.

Actually, I work for a company that imports these Shrimp You DO NOT want to overcook them as they get mushy very easily. Just boil or steam for a couple of minutes or until flesh is firm.

D5060360 029c 4f1e 82a5 b7a6deca6ccf  image

Wow! I'm curious to try and will definitely be on the lookout. I moved from Argentina one year ago. We were there for 3 years. I love seafood but Argentines prefer beef so it was slim pickings on the seafood. I bought and cooked shrimp a few times but was never overly impressed with them. I'm going to be on the lookout for these.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I haven't tried those. But look into "rock shrimp" from the east coast of Florida--which might be similar to the key west shrimp you mention.

Very thick shell, and almost lobster like in taste. It's rare to find them with shell-on frozen because the shell is very thick and difficult to remove.

I also purchased my shrimp from Harris Teeter. My question is why did the water turn pink when I rinsed them....they're supposed to be wild, thus not dyed like some farm raised salmon. I don't think they taste like lobster at all. I grilled mine on the Foreman grill. I am going to try them next in brown rice, Asian style.

Your water turned pink because your shrimp were actually fresh. There is no dye added. I live in South Carolina. I get shrimp right off the boats when they come in. When i steam or sautee my shrimp the water is pink. I add some cream, garlic. White wine and salt n pepper and a tad of flour and make a great rue out of that great shrimp water and piur it over pasta. That pink water is what you want. Argetine shrimp are just. FAB tooo

Yes I purchased these from Harris Teeter. The shell is bright pink when raw and there is often dark pink "gunky stuff" along with the vein (not sure if it's edible so I discard). I gently cook these in butter or split in half lengthwise and broil for 3-4 mins. The meat is super sweet and tender. To me it compares to lobster but sweeter. Deedogg for some reason the rinse water does turn pink - I think it's just their natural coloring not a dye. They are a deep water shrimp thus the thick shell.

We also get these at Harris Teeter here in Virginia. We had them tonight baked with butter and black pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Scrumptious! They are sweet, rather lobster-like and very tender. We eat the above mentioned pink gunk with no issues. I am thinking that their pinkness might be wholesome as they may have astaxanthin in them, perhaps from eating krill????? Anyway they're wonderful and not farmed (yet) so get them when you see them. To bake them: Preheat oven to 425, melt a stick of butter in a 13 x 9 pan. Put about 2 Tbsp. black pepper and Old Bay seasoning (to taste) in the butter and mix it around. Add the shrimp and stir to coat on all sides. Bake for about 15 minutes or so or until done. The ones we get are usually extra large so they take a bit longer. This is a great, easy recipe. Put newspaper on the table and eat them right out of the pan. Get a cold beer as that goes well with them. Enjoy!

The pink color is due to iodine on the shell from the krill and other items.

I get mines from Harris Teeter. They cost about 12.99 a pound. Everytime I go there the shrimp are available.

These shrimp are excellent, we're having them for a second time tonight and just tried them yesterday. The taste is a little different then regular shrimp, their texture is completely different, not as chewy as regular shrimp. When I cleaned them I wore some gloves and there were some pink staining of the gloves, not sure why. When you remove the shells there is a pronounced coloration like a tiger prawn, like pink or red stripes. One other thing, there appears to be a "row" of sorts inside the shrimp, it's orangish in color and we removed that when cleaning. Reminded me of the orange coral you sometimes find in Maine Lobsters, though some consider it a delicacy we prefer not to indulge. I would compare the cleaned meat to rock shrimp if you ever had that. I love these things, we will definitely be buying more.

I've been tempted to eat the pink "roe" you find when you devein them, but I'm not sure that's it truly a roe. Perhaps its the traditional digestive track but not black due to their diet. I can often find them on sale at Harris Teeter here in NC for $7.99 a pound. I like them but I must say I think Key West or fresh NC shrimp are the best flavor and texture.

The deveining does produce the black from the digestive track, not roe. In PA I pay $10 per pound.

I am so happy that I read all the comments about Pink Shrimp from Argentina. About a month ago one of my local markets had them on sale for 6.99 a pound in two pound bags. I bought 2 bags and put them in my basement freezer because I had Key West shrimp in the freezer upstairs. After reading all the comments, I am eagerly looking forward to eating the Pink Shrimp. Thank all of you.

Ea7a0ec7 7508 4277 9140 bcf0cc3c7c3c  img 3530

I've choose these Argentinian shrimp because they are grown and harvested in cleaner waters than most of the shrimp that are offered here in the northeastern US. I buy them frozen from a local Italian deli. The shrimp are very large, but I have no trouble removing the shells. They are pink and do have a pungent odor, even when frozen. They are marvelous to serve as shrimp cocktail, as well a shrimp scampi.

Fa46538d 7eda 423d 86e3 01731c3e54f8  stringio

Yes, I love them from Trader Joes! I keep it simple when I cook them because they are so sweet and delicious! I toss them with olive oil and garlic on top of rice noodles and a veggies like broccoli in the dish or edamame with coconut soy sauce on the side (all gluten free)

Absolutely the best shrimp I've ever eaten! We had a surf & turf Christmas this year and wanted good-sized shrimp to go with the beef tenderloin I bought. Our local seafood shop recommended what they called "Argentinian lobster shrimp" and swore the were as sweet as lobster. They were big (U-15) and cost $25 from the local shop where I got them (might be cheaper at Harris Teeter or a chain store). Their shells are thicker than standard shrimp and there was a slimy, very unappealing red substance under the shell by the vein. I removed both the vein and the red stuff. The directions said to boil with seasonings for 2 minutes; I was very skeptical that these large shrimp would cook in only 2 minutes but I'm glad I followed the directions! They were perfectly cooked and, as promised, were sweet as lobster! I normally like to eat my shrimp with cocktail sauce found out that plain melted butter was the best way to go. I, too, noticed that my water, fingers and napkins turned pink from the shrimp. I thought it was odd but, boy, they were delicious!

www,patagonianseafood.com the red argentinian shrimp are wild caugth, sustentainable no thawing needed m cook frozen. Preparation method: place frozen shrimp in a pot of boiling water for about 75 to 9- seconds ( max.) season or sautee with salt, olive oil, lemon juice chopped ginger, garlic, jalapenos and grated lemon peel. and tha's all folks.

2c8f215f 8aae 47d0 b0b9 ffdce4a30e60  flyer1

I just bought these Argentina 21/25 count shrimp today and tried them. Not impressed. They have a strange flavor. Not what you would expect from shrimp. Not the typical salt taste and kind of mushy. They also look strange. Nowhere near as tasty as Gulf coast shrimp. These were only $5/pound. I did not season these. Next time I will, or just add them to salads or something. I'll have to think of something. I bought 10 pounds.

I bought a lb at safeway today for $5. They were previously frozen and raw (though this shrimp looks cooked when you buy it). I like the taste and the texture is softer then regular shrimp. Just makes them a bit different. If you don't like them just for cocktail or fried etc.....use them with regular shrimp to make a shrimp salad, or some kind of dip. Then there is always soup and chowder. I have bought this in a bigger size for considerably more money per lb. The bigger ones are more "shrimpy" and maybe more what you were expecting.

Nothing compares to the Argentina Shrimp. They are the best tasting and biggest shrimp Ive ever eaten. My friends and I have all agreed that they taste a bit like Lobster. I can never get enough of them. Check them out at Harris Teeter. Cost is $6.99-$9.99---