What nuts can be substituted for each other in recipes?

I live in Kenya where almonds and hazelnuts are not available, but some of my favorite cakes involve them - sometimes in a central role. Are cashews comparable in oil content to hazelnuts or almonds, or will it cause problems to grind them with sugar or flour?

98c920df 3f38 4770 ac1a 6d3cacec2f29  img 0188

nishis June 23, 2011
When substituting nuts that serve a mix-in or topping function, most are interchangeable; however it seems you are looking at a nut flour/paste application in which case walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts, and brazil nuts are your best bets; note that they vary in terms of both cost and color of the finished product.

beyondcelery June 23, 2011
I second hardlikearmour's vote for a trail run and looking for pistachios. You can also try walnuts, if you can find those. I've lately been really enjoying ground sunflower seeds in my baked goods--they lend a nutty flavor and mimic some of the texture. How about macadamia nuts? Those might work, though I imagine they'd be a little stickier (with fat) than almonds or hazelnuts.

hardlikearmour June 23, 2011
You may have to do a trial run and see what happens. I'd also look into pistachios if you have them available in place of almonds or hazelnuts.