🔕 🔔

What nuts can be substituted for each other in recipes?

I live in Kenya where almonds and hazelnuts are not available, but some of my favorite cakes involve them - sometimes in a central role. Are cashews comparable in oil content to hazelnuts or almonds, or will it cause problems to grind them with sugar or flour?

asked by sabrina0 over 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You may have to do a trial run and see what happens. I'd also look into pistachios if you have them available in place of almonds or hazelnuts.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I second hardlikearmour's vote for a trail run and looking for pistachios. You can also try walnuts, if you can find those. I've lately been really enjoying ground sunflower seeds in my baked goods--they lend a nutty flavor and mimic some of the texture. How about macadamia nuts? Those might work, though I imagine they'd be a little stickier (with fat) than almonds or hazelnuts.

When substituting nuts that serve a mix-in or topping function, most are interchangeable; however it seems you are looking at a nut flour/paste application in which case walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts, and brazil nuts are your best bets; note that they vary in terms of both cost and color of the finished product.