What do you think of speeding up the "ripening" process for an Hachiya persimmon by freezing it overnight and then letting it sit for a few days? I am feeling impatient, and knowing that it could take weeks for the Hachiyas I just bought to ripen, am interested in this alternate method. Does it compromise the flavor of the fruit? Is the texture (super squishy in the case of a dead ripe Hachiya) the same? Thank you!!

asked almost 8 years ago

Ophelia

It would soften the flesh as freezing causes ice crystals to break the fruit cells and then thawing would release the innards of the cells (that's probably a really bad way to put that), but it wouldn't ripen the fruit in terms of flavor and sweetness. Doesn't work for bananas either, just makes them mushy.
I'd suggest a paper bag and banana (to put in the bag with the persimmons) and patience.

Savorykitchen

I tried it last year - DID NOT WORK! Felt like I'd chewed aluminum foil. Seriously, the tannins were just awful. Even worse, it started out ok and then the tannic dryness started to spread. A huge spoonful of honey restored my sense of taste.