How do I know if my persimmons are ripe?

994382b4 2dc1 4a79 8154 e0be4d12d1f9  47393 how do i know if my persimmons are ripe

I want to make a persimmon pudding, but I'm not sure if my fruit is ready.

asked by sarahlu almost 7 years ago

Slow Cooked Pittsburgh

Persimmons are ripe when they are soft, gently push against the flesh and it should give, it should not spring back (hence the gentle pressure, you don't want to bruise it!). Unlike apples or pears, the inside is more jelly-ish and not at all mealy, hard is not good. Mmmmm, persimmon pudding, one of my favorites!

They should be very soft and have an almost-translucent look to them. You can help speed the ripening by storing them in a paper bag with a banana.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Hachiya persimmons needs to be practically gelatinous before they are ready to eat. Fuyu can be eaten hard, as mrslarkin says, but left alone, they will also ripen to a very soft consistency. With Fuyus, it's essentially a matter of how you're planning on using them and your own preferences.

sarahlu

Thanks everyone! The sticker on this persimmon says Kaki persimmon Spain. And it is definitely not soft. I have a feeling that patience is going to be the main ingredient in this persimmon pudding.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I believe Kaki are what we call Fuyu, so you can probably eat it before it becomes supersoft.

sarahlu

Sweet! Put them in a paper bag with a banana. Will see how they look for tomorrow night.