Healthy menu ideas for daughter's 2nd birthday party

My daughter's birthday party is next week. She'll be two. I promised snacks, drinks, and cake. I'd love healthy, creative ideas for everything, but especially the snacks/fingerfood part of it. I was thinking of fresh smoothies for the drinks... Thanks :)

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen June 25, 2011

I've found that my wee grandchildren love fresh fruit, especially blueberries, strawberries and grapes. Maybe some frozen grapes... they also seem to like peanut butter and crackers ( as long as there are no nut issues)... string cheese is a lot of fun too

Sam1148 June 25, 2011

Carrot cake.
Blanched green beans and veggies (a healthy ranch dressing, if you can make one up).
Home made chicken nuggets. (with dipping sauces).
Flour Tortillas...baked like pizzas topped with some fresh tomato sauce, cheese, basil.
If you have source for lavish bread--that makes a nice cracker like pizza base.

boulangere June 25, 2011

Gosh, you're cooking your way around the world and many of us are *traveling* with you. Surely you've come across some young people friendly foods you could share with us.

ATG117
ATG117 June 25, 2011

Not well-versed on what 2 year olds eat, but some on-the-fly ideas... Mini quiches, using a whole wheat pastry crust. Or mini pizzas. You can buy a whole grain ball of dough at Whole Foods, amonst other places I'm sure. Fritata slices also come to mind. Whole grain bread with PB and preserves, cut into bite sized triangles. Cheese slices or cubes on toothpicks. A fruit platter with yogurt dip. Perhaps homemade granola bars, which are fun and super easy to throw together.

latoscana
latoscana June 25, 2011

What about making veggie or fruit faces? Put out bite-sized pieces or slices for each guest to arrange on a plate into a face - or anything else. You could have some prizes for prettiest, silliest, most unusual, etc. Of course, everyone gets a prize.

My only caution on some of these items is to make them either large or very small so that they don't present a choking hazard. Parties are so exciting that it can be hard to remember to sit and chew carefully - hmm, that goes for a lot of adults, too.

uws80
uws80 June 26, 2011

I made "tea party" for many of my daughter's springtime birthday parties. Finger sandwhiches were good because the small size allowed for the kids to eat as much or as little as they'd like, and the varierty allowed to have some geared towared both kids (i.e. pbj) and adults (smoked salmon). Fresh berries on the side

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

Thanks everyone - I love the tea party theme/idea... especially since the party is at 3:30 pm.

Boulangere, I do love a good jolt of inspiration - kids parties are not my expertise (yet) ;) I'm sure I'll have a little international flavor! I'll let you know as I get closer what I come up with.

boulangere June 26, 2011

I understand what you mean about not feeling expert at children's parties. I always felt like I was a little too close to out of control about them.

drbabs June 26, 2011

This is slightly off-topic, but from the time my daughter was 4 until, I think 13, I used The Penny Whistle Party Planner by Meredith Brokaw for great ideas on birthday parties. She always had theme parties, and we used the ideas in the book for foods, too. You can buy it used from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Penny-Whistle-Planner-Meredith-Brokaw/dp/0671737929/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309123897&sr=8-4

boulangere June 26, 2011

Wish I'd know about it! I think you may have just rescued legions of parents from party planning panic.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

Wow, that book is neat! I love all the game ideas, like color bingo and everyone wearing her favorite color. :)

drbabs June 26, 2011

Yes, there are so many great ideas. We did a lot of the parties--the Mad Hatter Tea Party when she was 4, and the Olympics party when she was 8 (SO much fun!). And I recently found a picture of me serving her the M&M cake--her favorite--to her and her friends on her 13th birthday. (It fell about a week after her Bat Mitzvah so I invited her 3 or 4 best friends over and gave her a surprise party...such nice memories.)

boulangere June 26, 2011

grandchildren . . . .

latoscana
latoscana June 26, 2011

One more idea I had forgotten, though maybe for a slightly older party:
A miniature party. Everything's tiny. Ask the baker to make mini buns, then make mini burgers (not slider-sized but really kid-sized bite-sized). Or tiny sandwiches or pizzas. Make mini-cupcakes with mini scoops of ice cream. Use small plates, cups, napkins. It's really easy to get carried away with this one but very fun.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

Ohh, miniatures would be great for 2 year olds in terms of practicality! No cutting and fussing for parents :)