🔕 🔔

Dff27d8a 3f43 4c7d bfc6 0335b2b46da3  photo 59
Kari Johnson

Kari is the manager of Whisk, a kitchenware store in Brooklyn.

Yes, you can sharpen a peeler! I'd recommend using a small multi-purpose sharpener, like this one: http://www.whisknyc.com...

Additionally, I find myself constantly using little cheap swiss peelers, like these from Kuhn Rikon. When they get dull - I toss them! http://www.whisknyc.com...

6839ae51 383d 457f 83dc 25d5f757a436  img 0353

Thank you Kari, will be buying the sharpener :)

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

My original vegetable peeler from 1966 never needed sharpening, always did a great job. It was nothing special, just what every kitchen had then. When it unfortunately got ground up in the garbage disposal, I tried to find a replacement (maybe 2 years ago). I bought several which were really unsatisfactory -- took off too much peel, didn't release the peel when you used them. Then I found what looked like the old one, only the blade seems to have a coating on it, maybe to prevent rusting -- from the supermarket, cheap, and the best yet. I have high hopes for it, but for function and for keeping its edge.

I have a ceramic peeler and it works better than anything else I have ever used!

905240fe bd99 409e a391 2797c6e0f601  photo 9

+1 to the kuhn rikons. We have half a dozen of them them at home - we use them for veggies, ginger, cheese, everyyything. My bf swears by them and he works in a pro kitchen!

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

THanks for the info Kari... Need to invest in one of these sharpeners.