Kari Johnson
Kari Johnson

Kari is the manager of Whisk, a kitchenware store in Brooklyn.

Yes, you can sharpen a peeler! I'd recommend using a small multi-purpose sharpener, like this one: http://www.whisknyc.com/shop/tcs-2.html

Additionally, I find myself constantly using little cheap swiss peelers, like these from Kuhn Rikon. When they get dull - I toss them! http://www.whisknyc.com/shop/kuh-2212-50.html

Chrissyo29

Thank you Kari, will be buying the sharpener :)

My original vegetable peeler from 1966 never needed sharpening, always did a great job. It was nothing special, just what every kitchen had then. When it unfortunately got ground up in the garbage disposal, I tried to find a replacement (maybe 2 years ago). I bought several which were really unsatisfactory -- took off too much peel, didn't release the peel when you used them. Then I found what looked like the old one, only the blade seems to have a coating on it, maybe to prevent rusting -- from the supermarket, cheap, and the best yet. I have high hopes for it, but for function and for keeping its edge.

KLL5

I have a ceramic peeler and it works better than anything else I have ever used!

spuntino

+1 to the kuhn rikons. We have half a dozen of them them at home - we use them for veggies, ginger, cheese, everyyything. My bf swears by them and he works in a pro kitchen!

Panfusine

THanks for the info Kari... Need to invest in one of these sharpeners.