latex allergies and figs

I just found that figs contain a latex substance. Will processing/cooking them remove the latex and make them safe for latex sensitive people?
Thanks for your help.

sdebrango July 2, 2011

Is it the fig or the sap from the fig tree? I googled figs and latex allergy and the article that I read mentioned that the sap from the tree is dangerous for people with that type of allergy. I would consult a physician or scientist familiar with these things I know latex allergies are very serious

Panfusine
Panfusine July 2, 2011

Figs belong to a family known as 'ficus' which includes the rubber tree used in producing latex, not sure about the chemistry & histamine profiles of cooked fig, but its better to be safe than sorry.

aargersi July 2, 2011

My neice also has a latex allergy - she can't help us pick figs but she can eat fig jam ... so I think it's OK but you should still check because the severity of allergies varies so widely