latex allergies and figs

I just found that figs contain a latex substance. Will processing/cooking them remove the latex and make them safe for latex sensitive people?
Thanks for your help.

asked by tsboyd58 almost 7 years ago

Is it the fig or the sap from the fig tree? I googled figs and latex allergy and the article that I read mentioned that the sap from the tree is dangerous for people with that type of allergy. I would consult a physician or scientist familiar with these things I know latex allergies are very serious

Panfusine

Figs belong to a family known as 'ficus' which includes the rubber tree used in producing latex, not sure about the chemistry & histamine profiles of cooked fig, but its better to be safe than sorry.

My neice also has a latex allergy - she can't help us pick figs but she can eat fig jam ... so I think it's OK but you should still check because the severity of allergies varies so widely