🔕 🔔

latex allergies and figs

I just found that figs contain a latex substance. Will processing/cooking them remove the latex and make them safe for latex sensitive people?
Thanks for your help.

asked by tsboyd58 over 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Is it the fig or the sap from the fig tree? I googled figs and latex allergy and the article that I read mentioned that the sap from the tree is dangerous for people with that type of allergy. I would consult a physician or scientist familiar with these things I know latex allergies are very serious

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Figs belong to a family known as 'ficus' which includes the rubber tree used in producing latex, not sure about the chemistry & histamine profiles of cooked fig, but its better to be safe than sorry.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

My neice also has a latex allergy - she can't help us pick figs but she can eat fig jam ... so I think it's OK but you should still check because the severity of allergies varies so widely