Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

are there any dangerous/inedible compounds in tomato stems?

asked by brandon over 5 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I just looked around online a bit and it appears that they are non-toxic to humans but they are to cats and dogs - I would do bit more research though to be sure. (one site mentions using them to flavor tomato sauce)

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I don't know for sure about straight up eating them, but I do know that it is safe to include them simmering in soups or broth and then fish them out before eating. They impart nice tomato-ey flavor. But, I don't know if I would try eating the stem just because even though it might not be toxic, it would probably be awfully hard to chew and basically not digestible.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.