can u help identify this?

78ce5bc1 ec1a 42bf a92c 2e24c4e83f96  img 2434

at a close friend's we were looking at her mom's plethora of cooking tools and stumbled upon this. does anyone know what it it? we thought maybe a "waffler" for potatoes, cucumbers, etc, however - it doesn't seem sharp enough!
please help.

asked by Sethyny about 7 years ago

MyFareFoodie

I could be wrong, but I think that is used to cut pie pastry crust - to make the long pieces that are woven on top. Just a guess :)

It's a waffle cutter for potatoes and veggies. It's probably dulled over time, but the older ones never were really sharp.

The gizmo my mother had for lattice pastry strips was a wheel (on a handle) you ran over the dough.

Panfusine

I sometimes use this tool to get wavy french fries & ridged carrots & cucumbers for salad. you really have to 'stab' the vegetables hard, this sits somewhere in the far corners of a kitchen drawer at home!

beyondcelery

My favorite use is for cutting plantains, before I fry them into chips! They're soft enough that they're not too difficult to cut with this tool.

Helen's All Night Diner

Oooh, cool question! I always thought those gizmos were for cutting butter into fancy shapes.

Panfusine

@Helen.. The butter tool looks like a melon baller with a crimped rim

Sam1148 and Panfusine are correct. I am 99.9% certain it is indeed a veggie crinkle slicer. Hold on to it - classic!

It is a veggie crinkle slicer. I have one also - came from my Mom.