A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake

361a48e7 a614 4547 a065 3785413e224a  2018 0404 grownup birthday cake 3x2 bobbi lin 10257

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Grown-Up Birthday Cake" from Midge. It says:

"In a standing mixer, blend sugar and eggs on med-high for a minute. Slowly mix in vanilla, wine, and oil. "

i plan on making this fantastic sounding cake for my husbands upcoming 60th birthday. i'm curious as to what qualities of oil & wine the recipe calls for. any thoughts?

asked by ABCDELICIOUS over 7 years ago

You don't want to use a super flavorful olive oil because a.) it will be very expensive, and b.) because it will overpower the other flavors. With the wine, you have more flexibility -- use a wine you'd drink on a weeknight, not one you'd buy for a dinner party or gift. Have fun -- it's a terrific cake!