Making Daniel Boulud's artichoke clafoutis, it calls for 6" pie pan the smallest I have is 9"

It contains 2 large eggs, 3 large egg white, 1 tsp yeast and 1/2 cup cream and a bunch of other stuff. Should I increase the ingredients I listed for my larger pan or should I just make a shorter clafoutis?

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 7 years ago

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Double your ingredients. At least. The area of a 6" pan is ~28 square inches. The area of a 9" pan is ~64 square inches. In other words, even though it's only 3" wider, it's twice as big (circles are funny that way). And with the fluted sides I expect the *volume* of the 9" pan is more off from the 6".

Summer of Eggplant

Thanks Peter, I'll let you know how it goes.

I agree with Peter. Although you might get by increasing in proportion by 1/3. It's better though to have too much batter than too little. When you add the artichokes it will cause the level to rise; think Archimedes.

davidpdx

Summer -- Unless it is a typo, better check the original recipe. Boulud calls for an 8-inch pan, not a 6-inch pan; that's close enough to your 9-incher to not make much difference. The recipe makes six servings, so maybe that's where the number "6" came from. Here is the reference: http://www.foodnetwork...

Summer of Eggplant

Well this is confusing, I'm using the cookbook and it says 6"
and serves 6. I will check the other ingredients in the cookbook against your link. Thanks for your comments you may have saved the day. That would be a pretty rough typo.

davidpdx

Summer -- Well, this looks like a dilemma. The TV version and the book version have what look like the same ingredient list, but one says an 8-inch pan and the other a 6-inch. Alas. Maybe Amanda has an "in" to get the answer from Chef Baulud?

Summer of Eggplant

I'm going 8/9" route. The reviewer on the food network page mentions having made it several times. I have never seen many 6" cake pans in home kitchens.