🔕 🔔

I want to make corn soup - it asks for bacon and I don't eat meat. Suggestions for a substitute? Thank you very much.

asked by augenblick about 6 years ago

I'm not sure there's a great non-meat substitute for bacon. What about getting that extra kick out of a poblano or jalapeno? It would add a little texture and a little spice. You could also add a little smoked paprika to help give the soup more depth. Hope that helps!

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I might try some mushrooms for body and a splash of tamari for flavor.

Super ideas - thank you!

77eb3840 ec81 4fb7 ae54 e15ab107230c  liz photo av

Smoked paprika? That would give it some of the smokiness of bacon. If the bacon is supposed to be added on top as a crisp element, maybe some toasted nuts, crispy shallots or even scallions?

I'd gently toast pepitos, the toss them with finely ground smoked salt while the pepitos are still warm. I might toss in a bit of chopped parsley after they'd cooled a bit, too, for a gremolata effect. I'd sprinkle it on top. Mmmm, yum. Makes me want to go make some . . . and some corn soup! (It's cool and overcast here today.) ;o)

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I cook corn soup with and without bacon often. I add smoked paprika for the without and throw in some shrimp for texture and taste but not crunch. Soups, in particular, are very forgiving and fun to play with.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

thinly shredded & sauteed sundried tomatoes seem to give s similar visual effect,

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

You are looking for salty, fatty, smoky and meaty . . try the smoked sea salt from Selina Naturally. It has a nicely balanced natural smoke flavour along with the salt. As previously mentioned, mushrooms for meaty. Fat can be butter or cream.

Chipotle peppers! I think that would give it a nice flavor.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I second Panfusine's answer. Sun dried tomatoes are delicious and add a chewy element to corn soup.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

For the smokiness of bacon, smoked paprika would be a good compliment.

I've done corn pudding (similar vein as chowder) with cheese in it - you could grate some smoked cheese, like a smoked gouda, over the top.

No meat, but if you eat fish, another thought would be garnishing corn soup with flakes of smoked trout (or hot-smoked salmon, or shrimp, etc.) I often add corn to fish chowders - good combo, so why not?

C2d97ab1 c2d2 4bd9 9295 fd6fc285dc98  sg headshot oct 2007

I think the thing I am aiming for in transitioning this recipe to a vegetarian option is finding something that creates a substantive "base" similar to the way the pancetta behaves: the rendering that (I think mushrooms and onions seem suitable in a hot, slightly oiled pot? garlic---how not to burn?)---leaves flecks and juices to meld with the next layers. I did try a few things recommended here. Something key, might lie in making sure the paste is well caramelized--maybe double the amount too; caramelize some onion/celery to add some depth. This is one of the grandest soups I have come across...so I don't mean to toy with it, but for family members who have vegetarian/vegan diets, the trial and error are well worth the time and tasty inquisitiveness. MMMM-mmmm.

Okay fun food52-ies....I must apologize, as I thought I was commenting on the mushroom barley soup recipe I was making yesterday (that asked the same question) and must have confused the threads!! Try the mushroom barley with or without pancetta!!! It's amazing. Now I will have to make this corn soup recipe with all the suggestions! My apologies.

If you must must must use something bacon, try using bacos.... which are incidentally vegan.

Agree with the smoked paprika, mushroom-onion and Pepita suggestions for smokey pasty and/or crunchy attributes of bacon. Try also roasted chilies, smoked Gouda for smokey taste. And miso paste or fish sauce (if you eat fish products) for umami and savory elements. What did you end up using? liking?

I vote for smoked salt. For me, mushrooms and sundries tomatoes don't belong in corn soup, but naturally that's just a personal preference.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Make the soup according to recipe and use some silken tofu in slices instead of the meat. Only you will know the difference - oooops, no you won't. It will taste good and be healthy for you too. If you want a "meat" taste, buy some meat flavored tofu.

4b48f575 45eb 445f 9b85 28d5bc9cacff  open uri20140626 25859 ib41v1

smoked tofu, toasted pepitas, and also -- dried chipotles toasted, seeded and slivered. Yum. Maybe try smoking some mushrooms and adding slivers of them to simulate the texture and taste of bacon. Hungry now.