Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Is fluoride a naturally occurring substance in water?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

No. It's added to water supplies.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Fluoride is the name given to a group of compounds that are composed of the naturally occurring element fluorine and one or more other elements. Fluorides are present naturally in water and soil. And amysarah is correct that in the 50's in the US fluoride began being added to the water supply because it was viewed that people who had more naturally occuring fluorides in their water had fewer cavities.

The conflict seems to be that adding fluoride is chemical based and not natural and it is argued there are negative side effects.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Fluorine is probably the most active chemical element in the periodic table and being electron negative (it likes to attract electrons to complete its 'shell') and consequently for physiological purposes, extremely toxic. The fluorine deliberately added to water is in extremely infinitesimal. it probably strengthens the teeth by binding to the calcium. Excessive fluorine in the body can lead to it bonding to calcium, thereby depriving the nervous system of Ca ++ crucial for neural signalling thus seriously jeopardizing the nervous system.

Hi Panfusine, Now I am really confused. Did I buy a party line with what I said above? I have never been able to sort this question out for myself. And I highly respect your knowledge base. What should I do to educate myself?

@SKK: Fluorine added to water is in such miniscule amounts that it may be categorized in those lists of laudable man made civic improvements, in the same category as iodized salt & chlorine treated water (GEEZ, whats with the halogens & human health!).. I don't worry about these since the possibility of over flourinating oneself is infinitessimal, I'm a lot more freaked out by the excessive pharmaceutical junk that the EPA is discovering in potable water!

One observation: my former Washington DC dentists attributed my relatively well-functioning 65 year old teeth to the availability of fluoridated water in DC and other East Coast cities in which I have lived; my new Portland Oregon dentist recommends daily fluoride mouthwash because Portland citizens years ago vetoed adding fluorides to the water supply.

@ Panfusine. OK, I am with you now. I was raised in Denver where the water was fluoridated and have no cavities at the age of 63. Much like davidpdx.