A question about a recipe: The River Café's Strawberry Sorbet

704cd25f d8fa 4d29 8780 bdf476cd1bf5  5862090320 3969de474d z

My ice cream maker arrived -- hooray! But strawberries are no longer in season here. Can I use frozen berries? If so, should they be thawed?

asked by Margaret McCormick about 7 years ago

Congratulations to you and your ice cream maker! I've never tried this recipe with frozen berries, but it would be worth a shot, since they get pureed anyway. I would thaw them completely or almost completely.

Let us know how it turns out!

I agree with kristen. Definitely give an update if you do, and it works well. It would be great to be able to make later in the summer (or even in the winter if you're so inclined!)

Margaret McCormick

Thanks for your quick reply, Kristen. I plan to make the sorbet this weekend (perfect timing, we're having a heat wave!) and will let you know how it works out.

PIIHA

I've made this and it's quite tasty. If you don't like too much texture in your sorbet, you might want to pass the mixture through a mesh strainer before freezing it.

Kitchen Butterfly

I would NOT thaw the berries, I would use them from frozen - the texture changes when thawed. I made a raspberry mixture (on the back of this recipe) using frozen raspberries and fresh lemon and it worked perfectly.

Apologies about the spam you just received. We're working on tracking down the spammer.