Homemade bagels

Does anyone have a great recipe for homemade bagels?

asked by Brette Warshaw almost 7 years ago

It can be done, but I prefer to leave it to the experts. You need a 'strong' flour, they need to be boiled and baked, etc. If you try it, be sure you're using a bona fide recipe, not just one for bread shaped like a doughnut. There are a few 'Jewish baker' cookbooks.

latoscana

Joan Nathan has bagel recipes that work well. I add a little molasses to the boiling water.

davidpdx

Lot's of work and on my "to do list," but check out this link: http://www.genuineideas...

KimmyV

I use the martha stewart bagel recipe. It is right on. You must have malt syrup. That is the key ingredient. I buy it at our local brewing store.

I have a great bagel recipe, but I am quite literally just off the plane from France. If you can give me until tomorrow evening, I'll get it posted to my recipes - something I've been wanting to do for a while anyway. In the meantime, you'll be wanting to get your hands on some high gluten bread flour (it should have a protein content of 14-14.5%). Alternatively, get some bread flour and some vital wheat gluten and I'll tell you how to make your own. Thanks in advance for your patience, as I attempt to wind down at midnight so as to begin sleeping in my own time zone some time soon.