🔕 🔔

Anyone have a recipe for sun pickles?

My dad has a bumper crop of pickling dukes and is looking for a good recipe. We've looked online but so many, some with bread, some with alum. Advice, please and thank you!

asked by JenniferF over 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

My question is why sun pickles? Why not just quick can them? The process will go faster and they will last longer and alum is not necessary. Here is my favorite tried and true recipe http://www.uga.edu/nchfp...

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I agree with SKK, and along with that, get yourself a copy of a good canning book, like the Ball Complete Guide to Home Preserving. There is an excellent recipe in there for bread and butter pickles. If you must have alum, be aware that some people, to avoid purchasing the chemical, substitute grape leaves, for the same purpose.

@mainecook61 - you did it again! I had no idea you can substitute grape leaves for alum! Thanks for that useful piece of information.

338c2250 efb0 45de 857e 0fb58ee1ac7d  photo 418

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, there is no way that my dad will can so sun pickles or fridge pickles are the only options. However, I am very interested in canning and will certainly take your advice to heart!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

@JenniferF

Refrigerator pickles are good and keep quite a while. I've never done the 'sun pickles' with alum. Just quick pickles with brine, dill, vinegar, some garlic, peppercorn..etc.

Use a cleaned ceramic cookie jar to make the pickles. Put a ziplock baggie filled with some brine as a weight on top. Quick and easy. Instead of a cookie jar...you have a pickle jar.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

This is a simple recipe for Half Sour Refrigerator Pickles:
http://www.theperfectpantry...
Very tasty!