Anyone have a recipe for sun pickles?

My dad has a bumper crop of pickling dukes and is looking for a good recipe. We've looked online but so many, some with bread, some with alum. Advice, please and thank you!

asked by JenniferF over 7 years ago

My question is why sun pickles? Why not just quick can them? The process will go faster and they will last longer and alum is not necessary. Here is my favorite tried and true recipe http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/quick_dill_pickles.html

mainecook61

I agree with SKK, and along with that, get yourself a copy of a good canning book, like the Ball Complete Guide to Home Preserving. There is an excellent recipe in there for bread and butter pickles. If you must have alum, be aware that some people, to avoid purchasing the chemical, substitute grape leaves, for the same purpose.

@mainecook61 - you did it again! I had no idea you can substitute grape leaves for alum! Thanks for that useful piece of information.

JenniferF

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, there is no way that my dad will can so sun pickles or fridge pickles are the only options. However, I am very interested in canning and will certainly take your advice to heart!

@JenniferF

Refrigerator pickles are good and keep quite a while. I've never done the 'sun pickles' with alum. Just quick pickles with brine, dill, vinegar, some garlic, peppercorn..etc.

Use a cleaned ceramic cookie jar to make the pickles. Put a ziplock baggie filled with some brine as a weight on top. Quick and easy. Instead of a cookie jar...you have a pickle jar.

This is a simple recipe for Half Sour Refrigerator Pickles:
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2009/08/white-vinegar-recipe-halfsour-pickles.html
Very tasty!