🔕 🔔

9384f53b 4e97 45ef bb41 1261e9453ad9  dscn3819

This fall I attempted to recreate a pickle recipe that my grandmother and a friend's grandmother (both Hungarian) used to make. Rose made huge crocks of these with rye bread stuffed around the pickles and in between. In searching for recipes I found a few online, but none was very specific about either amounts or technique. Can anyone tell me more about the acidity of the ingredients and whether this recipe could work canned and not as just refrigerator pickles? They are still delicious. I have one pint left in my fridge. Thanks for any expertise on canning.

asked by Sagegreen almost 7 years ago

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I think this is what is going on. There used to be an alcohol fermented from rye bread. I have made it a few times and in general it is not very good. What I am getting at is there is bacteria on you bread that is acting as a souring agent, much like lacto fermentation. So if the pickles get better with age than they may not can well because the heat from canning will kill the bacteria. I have a question though, is it a caraway rye? I ask because maybe you could recreate the flavor with vinegar and caraway seeds. It has also been my experience that naturally fermented pickles do not can well.

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

Good to know! As refrigerator pickles they have been pretty tasty, very pickly! I made these for a friend who was begging with me to recreate our grandmothers' recipe, which he has been craving for years now. There is definitely a liquor that is supposed to form. Another experiment for next summer will be the caraway/vinegar route.

You are our hero and such an inspiration here, you know, Tom. I will always attribute the combination of fennel and black pepper back to you!

Thank you sagegreen but really I am just a guy who loves food and variegated spiced latkes. Great recipe and if I haven't said so congratulations.

Wow, thank you, Tom. That is a huge compliment! I think I am the underdog in the contest, but am proud of my recipe!