A question about a recipe: Italian Rice Pie

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Italian Rice Pie " from Food Blogga. It says:

"Place the rice and water OR whole milk in medium heavy-bottom saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook the rice, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is sticky. The rice should still be firm as it will finish cooking in the oven. Remove from heat and set aside.
"

That seems like way to much liquid (4 cups) for only 1/2 cup rice.

• Posted by: slm4996
  • August 3, 2011
  • 1 Comment
42554391 1d10 4140 aa11 d0ac56ab79c8  032310f 697
Recipe question for: Italian Rice Pie

1 Comment

sexyLAMBCHOPx August 3, 2011

Hi, I haven't made this recipe but a comment/review addressing your concern about the liquid is mentioned. Hope this helps.

MyGardenersTable
ABOUT 1 MONTH AGO
I just made this cake in a 10-inch pan. It is still warm but I can already tell from sampling the extra filling, which I put in a ramequin, that it tastes very good. However I had a problem with the amount of liquid to cook the rice. 4 cups for 1/2 cup arborio rice seemed very high (usually I use 1 cup arborio to 3 cups liquid), I could not imagine the rice would absorb all of it, as the recipe says, but I went along with it. After 20 minutes the rice was cooked but I had two cups of water left over. I drained it, and it was fine. If I make it again I will cook the rice in 2 cups water.