Thawed Tomato Sauce

I made the Marcella Hazan Butter and Onion Sauce and froze it. I defrosted it in the fridge to use on Thursday. Plans changed and it was not used. What is the shelf life? I would like to use it in a casserole for Monday or Tuesday of this week. If I prepare the casserole and bake it so it would just need reheating that would still be okay right?

asked by Lucia from Madison over 3 years ago

JulieS

I would lean towards trying to cook it on Monday rather than Tuesday, but I think you should be fine. I'm the interim, I would just keep it in the coldest part of your fridge, the bottom shelf towards the back.

sarahjc78

It is fine to make into a casserole and reheat. Most sauces will be fine for 3-5 days. This depends on how quickly it defrosted.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Tomato sauce generally has a high enough acid content that it should be fine for Monday or Tuesday.

You can also toss it back in the freezer if you'd like. I have done that with my Marcella Hazan tomato sauce when I've defrosted more than I need and it doesn't harm it in the least.