🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Banana Sorbet with Chocolate and Peanut Butter

A84cd951 4c5e 4471 8cfc 41a6972168c2  imag0731

I have a question about the ingredient "2 tablespoons vodka" on the recipe "Banana Sorbet with Chocolate and Peanut Butter" from drbabs. I can't use alcohol in this recipe and was wondering how to make it without it. Any substitution ideas? Curious though, why vodka at all?

asked about 6 years ago

4e6b7f37 87b6 4558 885f b70149813895  dsc 0143

Alcohol is typically added to frozen dessert recipes in order to keep them soft and scoopable, since alcohol doesn't freeze. However, alternative ways to keep homemade ice cream soft include adding small amounts of xanthan gum or other similar substances available at grocery stores (Bob's Red Mill makes both xanthan and guar gum). You can also just give the ice cream a few minutes to thaw prior to eating, assuming you have the patience. Hope that helps!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Thanks rachel. Yes, the reason I add alcohol is to keep it from freezing too hard. But you can skip the vodka, especially if you're serving it right away, which is how I like it best. Otherwise just let it soften some before serving.