🔕 🔔

Big Fat Vegan Pancake Recipe?

We have vegan guests coming over this weekend. Every time I've made a vegan pancakes, they have been very crepe-y. I'd like to make a heartier, thicker version - hopefully with blueberries.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

This is the version I most often use, adapted from an old James Beard cookbook. The secret ingredient is applesauce:

1 c flour
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tbp ground flax seed, whisked or blended with 3 T water until it is thickened to the consistency of an egg
1 t coconut oil (or canola oil)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c applesauce (homemade or natural with no sugar added)

Sift the dry ingredients together. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Beat well and spoon batter onto a hot greased griddle, into cakes 4" in diameter. When the edges are browned, turn and cook the second side. Serve warm, topped with warmed maple syrup and or fruit.

U can sub sweet potato puree for the applesauce if you want to change up the recipe!