What is the difference between rice wine vinegar and champagne vinegar?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 7 years ago

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

For me, it's all about the flavors.

For example, I made some quick-pickled cucumbers and onions last week and I used the very sweet rice wine vinegar that's traditional for such pickles. I don't know that it would have tasted remotely the same with a champagne vinegar.

So I guess that leads to the question... what recipe were you thinking of using this vinegar in?

Yeah--it's a matter of taste. Not all rice vinegars are sweetened, but some are. And while I suspect you're thinking of a light rice vinegar, there are also red and black ones. Among the light rice vinegars though, I'd say that Champagne vinegar is less "bright," more "complex."

Sounds like I'm reviewing wines? Well, we sort of are.