I have sliced zucchini and squash leftover from another dish. Can I turn this into dinner?

I have a huge bowl of squash "coins". Not sure what to do with it to make dinner. I have packaged noodles, brown rice, kale, lemon, herbs, tomatoes, cheeses, hummus, onion. Any ideas?

• Posted by: CMTerp
  • August 16, 2011

Sam1148 August 16, 2011

Sauteed the onions, mix it all with some cooked rice, and some shredded cheese, a bit of cream, herbs and put in a casserole dish and bake for 30 mins with some bread crumbs on top.

Or make a quiche or a frittata. If you go with frittata you can use the noodles.
If you have a pie crust, go with quiche. This is assuming you have eggs and cream.

You can make a side dish with kale sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and herbs.

daphne.hayer
daphne.hayer August 16, 2011

One idea would be to toss the veggies in with the lemon ricotta spaghetti recipe that was featured on this site not too long ago.

Another idea is to stir fry the squash and zucchini slices with slices of bitter melon (cut in half scoop out the pith and seeds, then slice), onion and ground pork, with a bit of salt. Drizzle with sesame oil right before serving. If you have fresh cilantro or Thai basil, that would be a good addition, too.

Oops-- this is my first time answering a food pickle. I didn't see the other ingredients on hand on the other screen. I agree with the other respondent-- Most of those ingredients would make a great frittata.

boulangere August 16, 2011

Hell yes! Cook some pasta to more dente than al. Sauté the onions and herbs in a generous (very generous) amount of olive oil - it's good for you and tastes beyond heavenly. Rough chop some tomatoes and add them along with the zukes and some good sea salt. Add the kale. Sauté until a nice, thick sauce forms in the bottom of the skillet. Add a generous ladle of that lovely pasta water. Strain the pasta, toss everything together. Shave some good Parm over it, pour some wine and toast to a great invention. Save the rice and hummus for another day.

pierino August 16, 2011

Add eggplant, green pepper and your tomatoes and you are on your way to ratatouille.

Erica the Ninja
Erica the Ninja August 17, 2011

Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper before throwing them on the grill. Serve over any grain or pasta with a squeeze of lemon (and a bit of zest if you really love that lemony flavor) and a dusting of parmesan. mmm.