Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I have sliced zucchini and squash leftover from another dish. Can I turn this into dinner?

I have a huge bowl of squash "coins". Not sure what to do with it to make dinner. I have packaged noodles, brown rice, kale, lemon, herbs, tomatoes, cheeses, hummus, onion. Any ideas?

asked by CMTerp over 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Sauteed the onions, mix it all with some cooked rice, and some shredded cheese, a bit of cream, herbs and put in a casserole dish and bake for 30 mins with some bread crumbs on top.

Or make a quiche or a frittata. If you go with frittata you can use the noodles.
If you have a pie crust, go with quiche. This is assuming you have eggs and cream.

You can make a side dish with kale sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and herbs.

180fcae5 0d7d 4aea 9cba fd79363b92f3  stringio

One idea would be to toss the veggies in with the lemon ricotta spaghetti recipe that was featured on this site not too long ago.

Another idea is to stir fry the squash and zucchini slices with slices of bitter melon (cut in half scoop out the pith and seeds, then slice), onion and ground pork, with a bit of salt. Drizzle with sesame oil right before serving. If you have fresh cilantro or Thai basil, that would be a good addition, too.

Oops-- this is my first time answering a food pickle. I didn't see the other ingredients on hand on the other screen. I agree with the other respondent-- Most of those ingredients would make a great frittata.

Hell yes! Cook some pasta to more dente than al. Sauté the onions and herbs in a generous (very generous) amount of olive oil - it's good for you and tastes beyond heavenly. Rough chop some tomatoes and add them along with the zukes and some good sea salt. Add the kale. Sauté until a nice, thick sauce forms in the bottom of the skillet. Add a generous ladle of that lovely pasta water. Strain the pasta, toss everything together. Shave some good Parm over it, pour some wine and toast to a great invention. Save the rice and hummus for another day.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Add eggplant, green pepper and your tomatoes and you are on your way to ratatouille.

C025a004 8bf6 44df a036 1a852ee5fd5e  65427 10150138639344899 690959898 8052827 8061015 n

Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper before throwing them on the grill. Serve over any grain or pasta with a squeeze of lemon (and a bit of zest if you really love that lemony flavor) and a dusting of parmesan. mmm.