I've been asked to bring crustinis or mini sandwiches to a baby shower and am in a pickle trying to decide what to make. Any ideas?

I'm trying to avoid soft unpasteurized cheeses, as several women attending the shower are pregnant (including the guest of honor of course!).

asked by drlaura over 7 years ago

ichibanbrianne

Cucumbers and butter on Pepperidge Farm thin white bread with the crusts cut off. Go easy on the pepper. You might want to salt the cuke slices and put them over a strainer in the fridge beforehand for 30 minutes then pat them dry to let some of the water leech out. And, I thought that unpasteurized cheeses were illegal in the U.S., which seems like the only country with women paranoid enough to avoid certain foods during pregnancy. I've been noticing that many pregnant women these days are having a glass of wine, and in public, which is interesting.

wssmom

Love ichibanbrianne's idea of cucumber sandwiches! I recently tested apartmentcooker's hot pepper jelly, which would be lovely on thin pumpernickel bread with some cream cheese. http://www.food52.com/recipes...
You might also think about that old, old standby, cream cheese on date-but bread!

There'sAlwaysPie

You could do a "bruschetta bar" with some different types of bruschetta - tomato, olive, mushroom, carmelized onion, etc. Put them in bowls and serve with thin slices of a baguette that have been toasted.

gigiaxline

If you like mushrooms, this is REALLY good! http://www.epicurious.com...

Mini tomatoe sandwiches or tomato crostini, since they're in season. Maybe chicken salad as well.

Sadassa_Ulna

I have made this several times (and each time I increase the amount of coconut milk). It is really good on crostini. It is really good on anything!

drlaura

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I think I'm going to do the bruschetta bar to incorporate several of these ideas.

drlaura