🔕 🔔

cooking whole frozen fish?

I bought a whole frozen mackerel at the grocery store because it was the only way to buy it. How do I prep it for cooking though? It's seriously whole, guts and all.

asked by Ophelia about 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Defrost it in the fridge, then gut and clean the fish. Then you can cook it any number of ways, but I'd recommend roasting it whole. Stuff the stomach cavity with lemon and herbs. Oil and season the fish, and roast it at 375 degrees.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Good luck with it. Mackerel doesn't freeze very well, and not gutting them before freezing won't help the taste. But Amanda's approach sounds good. Grilling is another possibility if you're into the grill.