🔕 🔔

How would you dry brine a turkey?

Meg is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 7 years ago

E935f21b d722 4870 bfc7 d37d1ef8e084  becky

Williams Sonoma has a dry brine mix in the fall catalog. You rub it into the bird skin and let sit in the fridge overnight.

Just checked the WS site. Instructions are posted there--after brining, rinse the bird and roast. There are some rave reviews. I'll be trying it this Thanksgiving.

I did this last Thanksgiving and it came out great. I had been wet brining my birds, but the gravy often came out too salty. This method alleviates that problem.
The LA Times has been advocating this method for years. Here's a link: http://www.latimes.com...

Note that the link won't work if you just click on it because of the comma. You'll have to copy and paste the whole thing into your browser.
Note also that it's a 3-day method, although you can apparently shorten the time with diminished results.

Here's another link, to the story that accompanies the other link above. Between the two, I got all I needed to pull this off successfully. http://articles.latimes...

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

Saveur mag has a great one from about two years ago, simple and delicious.
http://www.saveur.com/article...

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thanks! Anticipating a great Thanksgiving dinner. Already made plans with friends to do a leftovers party on the weekend. Photos and menu to follow.