How would you dry brine a turkey?

Meg is a trusted home cook.

asked about 8 years ago

rpenovich

Williams Sonoma has a dry brine mix in the fall catalog. You rub it into the bird skin and let sit in the fridge overnight.

rpenovich

Just checked the WS site. Instructions are posted there--after brining, rinse the bird and roast. There are some rave reviews. I'll be trying it this Thanksgiving.

glutton&wife

I did this last Thanksgiving and it came out great. I had been wet brining my birds, but the gravy often came out too salty. This method alleviates that problem.
The LA Times has been advocating this method for years. Here's a link: http://www.latimes.com...

glutton&wife

Note that the link won't work if you just click on it because of the comma. You'll have to copy and paste the whole thing into your browser.
Note also that it's a 3-day method, although you can apparently shorten the time with diminished results.

glutton&wife

Here's another link, to the story that accompanies the other link above. Between the two, I got all I needed to pull this off successfully. http://articles.latimes...

thirschfeld

Saveur mag has a great one from about two years ago, simple and delicious.
http://www.saveur.com/article...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thanks! Anticipating a great Thanksgiving dinner. Already made plans with friends to do a leftovers party on the weekend. Photos and menu to follow.