🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

8a90636f 30c4 4607 96f3 f8be99ec0fd7  espresso cookie

I have a question about the ingredient "instant espresso powder (like Medaglia D'Oro, or similar)" on the recipe "Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef.

Can I grind coffee beans very finely and use instead?

asked by LauraMychal about 6 years ago

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I'm not sure that would work very well. The reason that espresso powder or starbucks VIA works well is that it is microground (which I'm not sure you could do with a home grinder) and designed to dissolve. Of course, if you don't mind a little grit factor.... The other thing you could do is to brew some extra strong coffee (or use a little water and a lot of instant coffee if you have it) and cut back a little on the wet ingredients.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I agree with Niknud, I think that grinding espresso would result in a gritty cookie. There is no liquid in the recipe so you could not brew strong coffee and add it would alter the recipe. I would suggest getting some of the instant coffee to keep around, I use it almost every time I make something chocolate the combination of the coffee and chocolate is heavenly,

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Good catch sdebrango!

B9c94ebc 5a6e 450d abc1 54d387324b87  599449 910822312705 1713284900 n

just to be clear, espresso powder is not finely ground coffee; it's brewed espresso that's been freeze-dried, so strictly speaking it doesn't contain the actual beans.