A question about a recipe: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

30dc0b3c cdb0 418f 9a20 6202efef6234  2018 0712 double chocolate espresso cookies 3x2 rocky luten 017

I have a question about the ingredient "instant espresso powder (like Medaglia D'Oro, or similar)" on the recipe "Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef.

Can I grind coffee beans very finely and use instead?

asked by LauraMychal almost 7 years ago

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I'm not sure that would work very well. The reason that espresso powder or starbucks VIA works well is that it is microground (which I'm not sure you could do with a home grinder) and designed to dissolve. Of course, if you don't mind a little grit factor.... The other thing you could do is to brew some extra strong coffee (or use a little water and a lot of instant coffee if you have it) and cut back a little on the wet ingredients.

I agree with Niknud, I think that grinding espresso would result in a gritty cookie. There is no liquid in the recipe so you could not brew strong coffee and add it would alter the recipe. I would suggest getting some of the instant coffee to keep around, I use it almost every time I make something chocolate the combination of the coffee and chocolate is heavenly,

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Good catch sdebrango!

jasonjason

just to be clear, espresso powder is not finely ground coffee; it's brewed espresso that's been freeze-dried, so strictly speaking it doesn't contain the actual beans.