A question about a recipe: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

30dc0b3c cdb0 418f 9a20 6202efef6234  2018 0712 double chocolate espresso cookies 3x2 rocky luten 017

I have a question about the ingredient "instant espresso powder (like Medaglia D'Oro, or similar)" on the recipe "Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef.
So, I don't have any espresso powder in the house. We've got Folgers instant coffee, as well as good high-quality espresso beans. Should I grind the beans really fine and then put them in, grind up the instant coffee a little finer, or pour in some liquid espresso, and if so, how much of each should I put?

asked by nka2 almost 7 years ago

meganvt01

I use Folger's in Ina Garten's chocolate recipes all the time - I've done espresso as well, and not noticed a difference. Its really just to bring that certain j'ne sais quoi to the chocolate flavor :)

I can't speak for the question. But just a flashblack for 'instant coffee'. My grandmother would serve ice cream to us with "sanka" instant coffee on top (caffeine free)..and put in a bit of coca cola in the bowl.
This is the only reason I keep instant coffee in my house.

We used to have sanka on top of ice cream too. No coca cola with it though.

nutcakes

I've often run across the need for that particular coffee grind for baking, and never can find it. So I grabbed a jar of it last time i spotted it and haven't used it once at all. In the past I have just used some very strong brewed coffee as part of the liquid, but in this cookie, that is a LOT of powdered expresso. Yuck to Folgers instant, and yuck to gritty granules of your good beans in a cookie. Maybe you don't want this answer but make something else.

Funny, nutcakes, I keep a jar of the medaglia d'oro instant espresso in my freezer for such occasions, and I was thinking that to my taste the Folger's might not cut it also. And it's really a coffee flavored cookie, not a chocolate cookie in which a little bit of coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. So I'm semi-retracting my first answer because I kind of agree with you, except that one person's yuck is another's yum, so nka2, if you really like Folger's instant coffee's taste, go for it.

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris