🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

8a90636f 30c4 4607 96f3 f8be99ec0fd7  espresso cookie

I have a question about the ingredient "instant espresso powder (like Medaglia D'Oro, or similar)" on the recipe "Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies" from KelseyTheNaptimeChef.
So, I don't have any espresso powder in the house. We've got Folgers instant coffee, as well as good high-quality espresso beans. Should I grind the beans really fine and then put them in, grind up the instant coffee a little finer, or pour in some liquid espresso, and if so, how much of each should I put?

asked by nka2 over 5 years ago
1f596ae9 f36c 4022 8b52 0c8583fd70b0  meg b f52

I use Folger's in Ina Garten's chocolate recipes all the time - I've done espresso as well, and not noticed a difference. Its really just to bring that certain j'ne sais quoi to the chocolate flavor :)

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I can't speak for the question. But just a flashblack for 'instant coffee'. My grandmother would serve ice cream to us with "sanka" instant coffee on top (caffeine free)..and put in a bit of coca cola in the bowl.
This is the only reason I keep instant coffee in my house.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

We used to have sanka on top of ice cream too. No coca cola with it though.

I've often run across the need for that particular coffee grind for baking, and never can find it. So I grabbed a jar of it last time i spotted it and haven't used it once at all. In the past I have just used some very strong brewed coffee as part of the liquid, but in this cookie, that is a LOT of powdered expresso. Yuck to Folgers instant, and yuck to gritty granules of your good beans in a cookie. Maybe you don't want this answer but make something else.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Funny, nutcakes, I keep a jar of the medaglia d'oro instant espresso in my freezer for such occasions, and I was thinking that to my taste the Folger's might not cut it also. And it's really a coffee flavored cookie, not a chocolate cookie in which a little bit of coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. So I'm semi-retracting my first answer because I kind of agree with you, except that one person's yuck is another's yum, so nka2, if you really like Folger's instant coffee's taste, go for it.