🔕 🔔

Where is the best place in the frig to store cheese? I recently heard that you shouldn't store it in the cheese compartment because it's too humid in there.

asked by TheWimpyVegetarian about 7 years ago

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

We only have one drawer in our smallish fridge, which is where the bulk of our veggies live, so I generally store cheese on the middle shelf either wrapped in its original paper (we buy the vast majority of our cheeses direct from Narragansett Creamery at the farmers' market, or from our favorite local cheesemongers at Farmstead), or wrapped in coated parchment. We do have a small "cheese safe" I got as a gift from Williams-Sonoma, which also houses small quantities of cheese, unwrapped and for the short-term, in the cooler months of the year.

905dae48 886c 4b84 bc12 45db8af3d1c9  cheese safe

8c9db971 a7fe 4380 a7e1 415e74cb3d1d  green apple card

I echo LND regarding the wrapping of the cheese when storing. Do not wrap in plastic but in paper or parchment. Plastic does not allow the cheese to breathe, accelerates molding, and imparts an off-flavor. Cheese actually thrives in a humid environment, so long as it can breathe. We store our cheese in a drawer in our refrigerator.

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

Thanks very much both of you. Clearly I need to look at how I'm treating my cheeses :-)!! But I'm on it now. Thanks.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

Cheese likes 55 to 65% humidity. Your drawers in your fridge should have an adjustment for humidity. But if you store it in any other part of the fridge and you put it in parchment then it will dry out because you more than likely have auto-defrost. Great for keeping the ice away and selling tupperware but not really good for food.

Cheese wrapped in tinfoil keeps very well in the cheese drawer. I used to work in a cheese manufacturing business. You could always wax it.