🔕 🔔

I'm out of brown sugar, just have rapadura. Can I substitute?

asked by LisaCooks about 6 years ago

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

Mmm that sounds like a wonderful substitution. Brown sugar adds some caramelized color and smoky, richer sweetness in flavor. Rapidura would do the same, I think. [I've definitely made similar substitutions.]

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

What's the recipe you're using it for? Should be fine for most things, but rapadura has less water in it than brown sugar, so that's one thing you may want to be aware of.

A friend is making corn muffins.
Thanks for your help!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I sometimes use demerrara sygar as brown sugar, and it usually works well. If the granules of the Rapadura are large, it might be best to put them into the liquid ingredients instead of the dry.