I'm out of brown sugar, just have rapadura. Can I substitute?

asked by LisaCooks almost 7 years ago

nomnivorous

Mmm that sounds like a wonderful substitution. Brown sugar adds some caramelized color and smoky, richer sweetness in flavor. Rapidura would do the same, I think. [I've definitely made similar substitutions.]

What's the recipe you're using it for? Should be fine for most things, but rapadura has less water in it than brown sugar, so that's one thing you may want to be aware of.

LisaCooks

A friend is making corn muffins.
Thanks for your help!

I sometimes use demerrara sygar as brown sugar, and it usually works well. If the granules of the Rapadura are large, it might be best to put them into the liquid ingredients instead of the dry.