🔕 🔔

Searching for sausage with grapes, a recipe from Lyon, France

Every year when the concord grapes in my garden ripen, I go on a recipe hunt for an amuse-bouche I was once served in a tiny restaurant in Lyon, France. So far I no luck, even though I asked a friend, a native from Lyon, and an excellent cook at that. Since the expert is always from out of town, with the well-travelled and francophile crowd on this site I might get lucky this year! - That unforgettable compliment from the chef were thick slices of a hearty sausage (I am usually not a big fan of sausage) cooked in crushed dark blue grapes, some of them still attached to their stems. You would only eat the sausage. It was October, so I figure the crushed grapes were leftovers from the harvest. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

asked by MyGardenersTable almost 5 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Found this recipe from Lydia Bastianich: http://www.lidiasitaly...

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Most times the crushed grapes are "sold" to the French government to pay taxes. . . the government makes industrial alcohol from it. But, I am sure the nice people of Lyon can still get some of that wonderful pomace if you know the right vintner and they haven't already started to make Marc. But, I would more likely guess that the grapes were more a confit then from the pomace. So, I would start with cooking a grape confit and adding the sausage near the end to finish cooking out. Being Lyon, you are looking at wine grapes most likely. . . would be fun to try to find some and proceed from there.

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12

Yes! Both pomace and confit seem to go in the right direction. Since I cannot get my hands on pomace, I will try this confit: http://blog.kelticlodge... unless someone has a better recipe? - The Lydia Bastianich recipe to which Amanda pointed uses sweet Italian sausage w/o fennel, any other suggestions what type of sausage might work here?

The staple fresh sausage of Lyon is saucisson a l'ail, garlic sausage.