🔕 🔔

Is there any difference between "clarified butter" and "ghee"? If so, when do you use one, and when do you use the other? Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 7 years ago

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

Ghee is a type of clarified butter. Based on the nutty flavor of most I have purchased, I would imagine it is cooked more (less water). Also, I have seen that the milk used may be allowed to sour slightly for ghee.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

To my knowledge ghee is clarified butter. Flavors can vary, I'm guessing it has to do with the milk in which the butter is made from. But clarified butter's flavor can vary from batch to batch depending on how far or how much it is simmered. Some chefs I've work for prefered a brown-er flavor than just to the point of liquefication and clarification.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

From what I've read, agree with foodfighter.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

All true, but there should be no problem in substituting one for the other, for anything from an omelet to trout almondine.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Ghee is actually from cultured milk that has been soured. In traditional Ghee preparation, the butter is melted and once it has separated over heat, the milk solids are allowed to brown very gently, this gives ghee its toasted quality, similar to browned butter. Clarified butter is simply melted butter that has had its milk solids removed.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

This is very informative site for Indian Ulsi Ghee http://books.google.co...