Weird question about anchovies & peanut butter.

I love anchovies. Lately when I've been eating them I've been detecting a flavor that is uncannily reminiscent of peanut butter. Any ideas why that might be?

asked by linzarella about 7 years ago

Are you pregnant? I ask this because pregnancy hormones can affect your sense of smell and taste.

linzarella

Ha! I hope not.

Summer of Eggplant

Is it a certain brand? If so, which brand? I am willing to go home and crack a can of them in the name of research this evening and let you know if I taste it too.

linzarella

Thanks! I can't wait to hear the results. I'm pretty sure they were either Ortiz or Crown Prince, oil-packed and in a jar, not a can.

When I first started to read this, I thought you were going to say something about a peanut-butter and anchovy sandwich....

Don't be afraid to try new things, my mother used to say. : P

linzarella

When I tried to google an answer, the pb&anchovy sandwich was all that I found. Apparently these flavors do have an affinity...

Summer of Eggplant

My tin of King Oscars is open. I've had 3 and I am not getting any peanut butter aroma or taste. But I do love anchovies, thank you for the suggestion!

Are these PB-flavored anchovies all from the same jar (i.e., not just same brand)?

If so, try one from another can/jar and see if it still happens...I have no idea why one particular jar would have this trans-flavor thing, but at least then you'd know if it was just some freak thing or you were doomed to a life of anchovy confusion.

Btw, the affinity between anchovy and pb doesn't surprise me - anchovies, soy sauce and fish sauce are all strong umami flavors - and classic components of Asian peanut sauces. (So go ahead and have that PB&A sandwich ;)

linzarella

Ok, I just checked, and the brand is actually Bellini. But anyway, I think amysarah is on to something with the strong umami flavors thing. Maybe that's what I'm tasting and just translating it as peanut butter.

linzarella, I don't know if PB itself has umami, but I do know it goes well with umami flavors - like soy/fish sauce with peanuts in Asian dishes.

(Maybe this is just your body telling you it's craving Thai food. I kid.)