A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Homemade Bleu Cheese Dressing Breaking

Am trying various bleu cheese dressing recipes, most mayo and/or sour cream based. Some taste great, but break within a couple of days. By breaking I mean going from a nice thick dressing to thin as water. Is there a trick to getting it not to break so quickly? Have been refrigerating it in mason jars. Any tips, tricks, or recipes appreciated.

asked by javal about 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You probably need to add an emulsifier such as lecithin to get it to be more stable. Otherwise you will have to just make it fresh as needed.

Here's my recipe for Blue Cheese Dip. It keeps in the fridge for about a week without breaking. If I want dressing, I simply add a little evaporated milk and adjust the seasonings. Two birds with one stone!

¾ cups Fat Free Yogurt, Plain
¼ cups Reduced Calorie Mayonnaise
1 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
¼ teaspoons Garlic Salt
¼ teaspoons Celery Seeds
2 dashes Worcestershire

Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Add yogurt and allow to drain/thicken for about an hour in the fridge. Discard the liquid and mix all ingredients together until combined. If you want to make dressing, simply add a little evaporated milk until you reach the desired consistency

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

As harlikearmour mentions, lecithin might solve the problem. This goes back to the high school science experiment about emulsions: since oil and water don't mix, you need something that bonds to both so that when you whisk or stir the mixture, the ingredients get distributed throughout. But it probably won't stay mixed - the oil will likely float to the top.

It also sounds like perhaps the solids in your dressing are falling to the bottom. Do you have a step for thinning out the blue cheese before mixing it in?

I appreciate your frustration in finding the perfect blue cheese dressing - looking forward to trying poppy's here.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I try to make blue cheese dressing in small batches so it's used up before it gets watery.

I appreciate all the help. Have to admit I've never used lecithin in a recipe, but I see I can order it on the web. Can anyone give some advice on the amount to use? If I was making say 4 cups of Bleu cheese dressing, how would I know how much lecithin to put in?

BTW, I love Food Pickle for exactly this reason - I can ask amateur questions and not be looked down on!

It looks like a very tiny amount of lecithin would work - from 1 to 10% of the weight of the oil, depending on the oil-water ratio. That might be too technical so perhaps start with a drop and see what amount holds it together. If you scroll down here you'll see charts for various applications: http://www.americanlecithin....