🔕 🔔

savory use for apple

I have a couple of mealy apples, and I want to figure out something to do with them, but not anything dessert-like, and nothing too complicated, because it's only two apples, so I won't end up with much. Thoughts?

asked by linzarella about 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I like to saute apple slices with onions and butter. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine, cider or sherry vinegar and it makes a nice sauce. Add a little heavy cream if you want a creamy sauce.
Serve with roast chicken or pork loin.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

Savory use of apples always makes me think of Thanksgiving stuffing. I like to add sauteed apples (sauteed in some butter) to my stuffing. You could make a bread casserole and add the apples... yummy, maybe I'll make that next weekend!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Definitely agree on using them with pork - in a pan sauce like drbabs suggested; as part of the braising ingredients for chops; or with dried apricots and/or prunes in a stuffed roast pork loin.

I also sometimes use up mealy apples by chopping them fine and tossing them into a chicken or lamb curry. They add a nice, subtle fruity-sweet note.

Similarly, you can chop them up and add them to a butternut squash or pumpkin soup. I often roast a stray apple or pear along with the squash/carrots/onions before turning it all into soup.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

I make a relish with granny smith apples.. dice the apples add salt & cayenne pepper to taste. Heat canola oil till smoking hot, add a tsp of mustard seeds to the oil & let it sputter, add to the apples & mix to combine..

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

If you have pork,sounds great...go with drbabs.If not some chicken breast will do the trick:dice the chicken,saute in olive oil with lots,and I mean lots of onion,garlic some cumin,salt and pepper.Add the apples sliced(don't peel them),some worcestershire sauce,pinch of sugar,splash of vinager,some water and leave it to cook for a few minutes.Or turn them into a salad,with some celery,potatoes,ham and mayonaise.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Any of the above, or place a half or whole each into the cavity of a chicken and roast for a juicy and fragrant bird. You can add half an onion and some herbs (rosemary or time) as well.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Creamtea what a lovely idea! I sometimes just make some applesauce with extra apples ....

I also think of a relish, but with sausage perhaps.

Apple chutney is fairly quick and easy and goes very nicely with turkey, chicken, and pork. You could also make a mincemeat with it--add more or less sugar to make it more or less savory.

When I used to work with a Japanese cook, he would use apples for his japanese curry sauce. It added that unidentifiable slight sweetness to it, which made it all that more interesting and yummy!