I have been using apple cider syrup in place of some sugar when canning. (I just canned some fig-apple-walnut chutney and fig and raisin) All the recipes that I have seen include cornstarch , sugar , etc.) The brand that I used is Bates and Schmidt which says it is 100% apple cider...has anyone made apple cider syrup?

• Posted by: dymnyno
  • October 20, 2010

AntoniaJames October 20, 2010

It sounds like apple cider reduced to a syrup and nothing more. Just cook the cider until it's a syrup. Sounds like a great idea, by the way!! Convenient, to be sure, for butters and spreads, where you would use juice instead of sugar. I'll check a few of my references to see what I find. I have a couple of less-well-known books on preserving that are full of info that's been known for centuries by everyday cooks, but that somehow has been forgotten or not passed on to our generation(s) in the US, for whatever reason. That fig, apple, walnut chutney sounds delicious, by the way!! Stay tuned . . . . ;o)

Rivka
Rivka October 20, 2010

I'm willing to bet it's as simple as boiling down apple cider to 1/3 or 1/4 of its original volume...

thirschfeld
thirschfeld October 20, 2010

No I haven't but I am going to guess it is just a reduction of apple cider. I am sure you could figure out how to do it. I am guessing it is too thick to put a hydrometer in it but I am guessing someone around there could give you a sugar reading or you could just take a gallon and reduce it slowly to a cup and see if it is about the same consistency and sweetness.

dymnyno
dymnyno October 20, 2010

Thanks all! I was hoping that it would be this easy. The Bates and Schmitt syrup is really good...I wonder how many gallons of Gravenstein apple cider it will take...I'll give a try and keep you posted.

Christina Ward
Christina Ward October 20, 2010

Yup, boil it low and slow until the moisture is evaporated out.

You may be surprised at how little syrup you get! The rule of thumb is about a cup of syrup per gallon of juice.

Ms. T
Ms. T September 30, 2011

Dymnyno- Do you have your recipe for fig-apple-walnut chutney posted? I'd love to try it.