do you have advice on what to do with green tomatoes aside from frying them?

asked by @htisman about 7 years ago

How about green tomato salsa?? Throw in some cilantro, garlic, onion. Serve with tortilla chips and a margarita, of course.

mensaque

Marmalade.I'm not joking...try and tell me later how it went.

LLStone

I love the following recipe from farmgirlfare - http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2009/09/got-green-tomatoes-try-my-super-simple.html

I added some extra jalepeno and some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to spice it up, but we ate it on everything. Mixed it w/ salsa, added it to mexican dishes - we really liked it.

Fried green tomato BLT on some interesting bread,

beyondcelery

Chop it up and add it to a corn and bean salad. Or toss diced pieces with huevos rancheros. Stuff it into an omelet with avocado, jack cheese, caramelized onions, and fresh peach. Think tomatillo or nopales!

Sunchowder

I pickle them, they are fabulous! Let me know if you would like me to post a recipe.

@ Sunchowder - please post a recipe! I fear I'm going to have a large crop of green tomatoes this year.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I substitute them for zucchini in my zucchini bread recipe.

wssmom

@Sunchowder, yes please! Also am up to my ears in green tomatoes, thanks to Hurricane Irene!

I've made a green tomato chutney, loved it, but where did I get the recipe? Maybe I'll find it again.
My father remembered pickled green tomatoes from his childhood (born 1910). He tried to make them and was never satisfied with the result. Ah, you can't go home again...

kcrose210

i've used them on homemade pizza instead of red ones, they roast nicely in the hot oven

melissav

Antonia James' Green Tomato Chutney (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) is delicious. It was my first canning project ever! Unfortunately, I'm out and need to whip up another batch. It is delicious stirred into couscous and as a condiment with pork and chicken.

Esther Plume

The last 2 years my mum has made green tomato jam... While I was initially sceptical, it's actually very delicious! If you've got lots of green toms, it's a tasty way of using them up... As of course is green tomato chutney.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Type in the following words into your SEARCH engine to get some great tested recipes for those green gems.
State University Extension and canning green tomaotes

Enjoy

My aunts always made Green Tomato Pies with them, following their apple pie recipe with a little extra sugar. They were really good.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

How about a roasted green tomato salsa? Roast some garlic, jalapenos, maybe some tomatillos and the green tomatoes. Puree cooled veggies with lime juice, lots of cilantro, maybe some white onion or scallions, salt and pepper. Now I'm just wishing I had some green tomatoes too!