What is your favorite chocolate frosting for piping on cupcakes? I'm looking for something

less sweet.

drbabs September 8, 2011

I like to make ganache--heat cream to simmer and whisk in chopped chocolate (use really good chocolate) till it melts. You can dip the cupcakes into the warm ganache and let it harden on the cakes (It has a pretty, shiny surface that way) or let the ganache cool in the refrigerator till it's spreadable and spread like icing. (I imagine you could pipe that, too, but I've never tried it.)

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon September 8, 2011

There is a wonderful chocolate icing on Joe Pastry's website: joepastry.com. It is really easy and looks great piped on chocolate cupcakes with a large star tip.

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon September 8, 2011

Sorry! I just saw the "less sweet" part of your question. You can whip the ganache suggested by drbabs. Place the bowl with the warm ganache into another, larger bowl with ice cubes in the bottom. Use a hand mixer to whip. Be careful not to over do it or it will curdle.

ATG117
ATG117 September 8, 2011

ganache made with a darker chocolate would definitely work. Or you might try this recipe by smitten kitchen, which incorporates sour cream, so that it's less sweet.

http://smittenkitchen.com...

Alternatively, just use less powdered sugar in whatever recipe you are using. Frosting, unlike the baked good itself, lends itself to tweaking based on your taste preference.