E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Yes, I think blueberries would work just fine. You could substitute cornstarch or flour, but tapioca is a really nice thickener so it would be worth seeking it out. (I get Bob's Red Mill tapioca flour in my regular grocery store.)

Fad4ee23 115a 472e 8da3 c673f9c161c5  headshot

agreement with drbabs-- blueberries would be great too (use 2 tsp of lemon juice), and yes, you may substitute an equal amount of cornstarch or flour for the quick-cooking tapioca. i recommend quick-cooking tapioca only because it *consistently* delivers non-runny pies. cornstarch used to be my go-to, until a recent string of river-like blueberry and sour cherry pies. i still always use flour to thicken my apple pie. it all depends!

let me know how it turns out!

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Substituting one dried fruit for another in a "wet" recipe is always fine.

I'm not a fan of thickening my pie insides with such powerful thickeners as tapioca or cornstarch. I much prefer the {very old fashioned} mainstay: flour. I find that whole grain flours thicken better and you need less than you would an all purpose, pastry or cake flour.

The way I try to ensure that my pies do not get too runny is twofold:
I bake the pie 24 hours before I am going to slice it, but I keep it at room temperature the whole time.

I do not pre-macerate my fruit. I have all ingredients ready to go and pop pie in the oven as soon as pie is assembled. If I have to make more than one pie at a time I make the extra pies wait in the freezer and them I put them all in the oven at once. I always start my pies in a hot oven to gain color, and then I turn down the oven for the remainder of its baking time.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

When I tested the recipe I used quick-cooking tapioca and was unable to source sour cherries; it was all delicious!