A question about a recipe: Just Peachy Pie

I have a question about the ingredient "sour cherries" on the recipe "Just Peachy Pie" from karollu. I have blueberries in the fridge. Would it work to sub them for the cherries? Also, I've never used tapioca in a recipe. Is it necessary in this dish or can I sub another ingredient?

• Posted by: daboyer
  • September 12, 2011
5d752dd8 f6f9 488a ba26 2b2ada51282d  peachpie0825 01
Recipe question for: Just Peachy Pie

drbabs September 12, 2011

Yes, I think blueberries would work just fine. You could substitute cornstarch or flour, but tapioca is a really nice thickener so it would be worth seeking it out. (I get Bob's Red Mill tapioca flour in my regular grocery store.)

karollu
karollu September 12, 2011

agreement with drbabs-- blueberries would be great too (use 2 tsp of lemon juice), and yes, you may substitute an equal amount of cornstarch or flour for the quick-cooking tapioca. i recommend quick-cooking tapioca only because it *consistently* delivers non-runny pies. cornstarch used to be my go-to, until a recent string of river-like blueberry and sour cherry pies. i still always use flour to thicken my apple pie. it all depends!

let me know how it turns out!

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon September 12, 2011

Substituting one dried fruit for another in a "wet" recipe is always fine.

I'm not a fan of thickening my pie insides with such powerful thickeners as tapioca or cornstarch. I much prefer the {very old fashioned} mainstay: flour. I find that whole grain flours thicken better and you need less than you would an all purpose, pastry or cake flour.

The way I try to ensure that my pies do not get too runny is twofold:
I bake the pie 24 hours before I am going to slice it, but I keep it at room temperature the whole time.

I do not pre-macerate my fruit. I have all ingredients ready to go and pop pie in the oven as soon as pie is assembled. If I have to make more than one pie at a time I make the extra pies wait in the freezer and them I put them all in the oven at once. I always start my pies in a hot oven to gain color, and then I turn down the oven for the remainder of its baking time.

wssmom
wssmom September 12, 2011

When I tested the recipe I used quick-cooking tapioca and was unable to source sour cherries; it was all delicious!