Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I'm looking for a recipe organizer software, any suggestions?

I would like a program that is not totally reliable on internet access to organize my recipes on my computer. I've looked at The Recipe Organizer...any one know anything about that one? Thanks!

asked by katiebakes about 5 years ago

I can't speak to The Recipe Organizer, but I do recommend MacGourmet (assuming you use a Mac... macgourmet.com). It is definitely meant for offline use and has a lot of online compatibility. Also, there are add-ons that will do things like calculate nutritional information (though I don't have those). I do have the iPhone app, though, which is pretty handy. I've been using it for years (and have friends who use it, too).

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

oops, I meant The Recipe Manager

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

This recent foodpickle thread talked about various ways to organize recipes. I have been thinking of using software to organize my recipes, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. Right now I have my recipes in binders, organized by subject.

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

64db22fc db69 4538 bd4a 415d9e9586ac  dsc 0400

If you do not currently have a blog site, why not begin one? It's a wondeful way to document your recipes and leave a little something behind for your family. A platform like Blogger is free and simple to set up - you could have it going in an hour :)

If you use windows you may use Master Cook, it is pretty good.

D590e294 e6b5 45c1 af4c 010dedd34954  img 1438

Check out Shop'nCookPro - very good software. http://www.shopncook.com... I use it all the time - for work and home. It has a lot of extra stuff I don't use like programs to help plan menus and create shopping lists, but the food costing and easy recipe index is great. I can copy a recipe from Food52 or the NYTimes and paste it into the software, and it recognizes ingredients and methods and can even provide nutrition info. Very much worth the $.

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

I use Evernote for everything. Evernote.com It's free, flexible, has a great phone app for iPhone, Droid and Blackberry. I like to think of it as Google for recipes and notes. Great tagging features for organizing. Easy to share and post recipes. It's free - give it a try.

I use PepperPlate.com. It's free. It captures recipes from lots of magazines and websites (Food Network; Bon Appetit; MyRescipes; Epicurious) with just a click. It has a shopping function; a cooking function (with 2 timers) AND it has a mobile app so that if you are in the store and suddenly decide you have to make something but can't remember all the ingredients ...... you get the picture. Their iPad app is amazing. I use the PepperPlate app more than anything else on my iPad. (If you own an iPad and are looking for a great stand to use in the kitchen .... try The Nest iPad Stand by BlueLounge.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

I'm seconding Evernote. You can get it on your ipad, iphone, etc. and have your recipes anywhere. you can also add infinite tags to any note, making it easy to search and find what you're looking for.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful answers! I went with MacGourmet; I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for recipe software (that has a Mac of course).

try www.frunti.com. makes it incredibly simple to download your recipes in book form to your computer.

Google Drive. Yes, it can be used offline: https://support.google... Best search engine there ever was and ever will be. Documents can be in whatever format you like. You can access from your phone, your iPad, your friend's iPad, your computer at work, etc.

I have my entire digital library of recipes on my Drive. It's the best!

Bonus: I can share any file or folder or the entire Drive with anyone I like, according to whatever rules I implement. This makes it ideal for quickly creating recipe gifts, i.e., folders of recipes specially selected for a particular newlywed couple, friend or family member with an interest in a particular type of food, people you met at or invited to a dinner party who'd like one or more recipes that came up in conversation, etc. ;o)

Yes, I have a suggestion! I've never heard of The Recipe Organizer, but I LOVE www.BigOven.com. I’m a passionate home cook with way too much time on my hands to cook, and I want to try as many of my recipes as I can and eat as much as I can :). It might sound a little dramatic, but BigOven has changed my life. You can start by browsing other people’s recipes and easily make a menu plan or grocery list from that. But the real fun for me was in adding my own recipes and being able to search them in any insanely specific way that I could think of. My recipes from blogs or websites (www.cooksillustrated.com, for example) were quick to upload, and my own I just entered gradually over time. It is SO convenient to use. Starting with just being able to find a recipe when you need it, the search function is really great and very detail-specific to exactly what you want to look for! One small example is that you can search for recipes with up to three ingredients, and without up to three ingredients. There are a million other ways to search but I won’t bore you to tears. Anyways.... now I never waste an ingredient where I can’t figure out what to do with it! And it doesn’t linger on the shelves for 6 months until I realize that I have one - and just one - other recipe for it that I’d love to try! Also, it’s made it easier to compare recipes for the same thing...I can see at a glance that I have way too many recipes for chocolate cake, for example! Then there was the time when I figured out which desserts I could make for a vegan friend... the answer was, hardly any (er....), but all of my ices and sorbets were promptly tried out when I visited her. Back to BigOven...once I figure out a recipe that I want to make, what I LOVE is the menu planner and grocery list. For me this is a life-saver because I’m always changing things at the last minute, based on having company or not, something lasted longer than I thought it would, etc., and I used to have to go back to my cookbooks to rewrite my grocery list. What a P-I-T-A. Especially if you cook with a lot of fresh produce and other things that are perishable. Now it’s so easy to move plans and grocery lists around at the last minute. Thanks to BigOven, I take it for granted. Finally, it’s just fun to have a place to keep your recipes where you can look at them (I like to upload my photos when I make something, but it works really well if you didn’t feel like doing that, too...and for any online recipe, it does that for you). I used to talk about BigOven non-stop when I first started using it a few years ago - my poor friends and family were probably bored to death (what, BigOven? Okay, I can tune this out....). Oh, and I know that this is common to a lot of apps, but I love that I can figure things out on my home computer or laptop, and if I want to quickly check something on my phone either at home or at the grocery store, all of my information is with me. If they’re out of the main ingredient for my dinner that night at the grocery store, I can do a quick search through my recipes and find something else, just standing there in the grocery store. I cannot say enough good things about BigOven (can you tell? ;)

5ac967bf 537b 48ff be9d 99723b4dae2c  fb avatar

FYI...you do not need a WiFi connection to access your recipes with the Cook'n app (http://www.dvo.com).

I think it sounds awesome and I'm certainly going to check it out. If it's an app, can you access whatever you have uploaded or do you need internet to access anything.

Hi Susan! I don't see a way to "reply" to you, so I'll reply here... Yes, you do need wi-fi or some kind of Internet connection to use the BigOven app at the grocery store. I'm not very internet savy but hope that helps!

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

I also use Bigoven for my Blog, but I stopped. Once you save more than 50 recipes you have to pay.

Dan Oaks owns Cook'n and I have purchased (and repurchased) this software since before it was known as Cook'n. Dan seems to be a great guy but, he has now just announced that his company is going to a monthly subscription fee ($14.95). Cook'n is the only recipe organizing software I've known but, even when I by the upgrades with discounts (most recent $63.95) it doesn't add up for me to buy into a subscription service; in about 4 months and a week of buying a subscription I could buy an updated Cook'n. So, for whatever reason(s) Dan's company has for raising the buck, I also, have for finding a less expensive service (that of course offers the components that work best for me).

Most software companies are changing to a SaaS (Software as a Service) business model and charging a subscription for their service. Until now, those who were interested in trying Cook'n had to pay $79.95 to buy it. Now, they can get it and use it for free. If you want to take advantage of Cloud Storage & Sync and other services, you can subscribe for only $4.95/month. You can unsubscribe at any time. Best of all, subscribers get all upgrades for free whereas, under the old business model, existing customers had to pay $64 per year to get upgrades. This new business model is actually LESS expensive for new users who don't have to overcome the $79.95 barrier to entry...and it's LESS expensive for existing customers too since they don't have to pay $64 each time a major upgrade comes out. Hopefully, klnell, you now see the reason why we "lowered" the buck rather than "raising the buck!" Cook'n is the only thing we do. We've done it for 24 years...there's nothing better on the market and we love our customers!

C066bf23 1d56 4f22 9a51 710c9aa21fc2  fb avatar

Oh, really Dan? 'Cuz when I try to open cookn it asks if I want to use the sync option and of course I don't, so I say no and the app closes. I have to choose "Later" EVERY time I open the app. Crippleware? Ethical issues?

Great questions Brian. By the way, when I saw your name, I instantly heard the Bryan Adams song "I'm Ready" in my head! Great song! Creating a Cook'n Cloud account is required. But, it doesn't cost anything do create an account and it only takes a minute or two to enter your e-mail address and a password. It's super simple! Have you tried to order something from Amazon without creating an Amazon.com account first? Have you tried to view content on FaceBook, Pinterest, or Youtube without logging in to your account first? It's nearly impossible in most cases. Similarly, we simply cannot move forward with the upcoming features and services that we're adding to Cook'n unless the user has a Cook'n Cloud account. Consequently, creating a Cook'n Cloud account is now required as well. But, like I said, it's free to create and it's super easy to do.

Hi, the company I work for uses a great tool for Recipe Management/Development Software, here is demo of it: https://www.youtube.com...

I have seen a new app that I believe does what you are looking for, its called cookbook (cloudcookbook.co) and is available on ios and android. I have been looking for one like this for a while - the other apps just haven't ever cut it for me. Check it out, its on a yearly subscription at a reduced rate at the moment but your first 30 days is free!

added about 1 month ago

Hi there, at our restaurant we signed up to "Chef" From Hamilton Grant, its great really easy to use and covers everything from costs to allergens, nutrition & calories etc. www.recipe-software.com