🔕 🔔

Slow cooker recipe for pork

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

My favorite is your basic pulled pork. A 5 lb butt takes about 6-8 hours on low. And you've got the base for pork tacos, pulled pork sandwiches, BBQ pork grilled cheese sandwiches and 500 other yummy dinners.

I mix about a 1/4 C brown sugar with a good tablespoon of Penzey's Chicago steak seasoning (smoked salt with peppper, basically) and some smoked paprika and rub it all over, but really you can just chuck it in the slow cooker and season it up later, if you're at a loss.

F5f738ce d84d 46ae 90ce 1fb6b6051af3  yaa

I definitely recommend at least a basic rub to bring out the flavor. Try a 1/4 cup each of brown sugar and paprika, along with 1 Tbsp each of salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic/onion powder. A 2-3 lb butt takes about 3-4 hours on low, while a 5 lb butt takes about 7 hours.

If you want something more exciting, I can personally vouch for Rick Bayless' recipe for slow-cooked achiote pork:

http://sweetlifebake.com...

All the ingredients can be found in the Mexican/ethnic aisle of a grocery store. Don't be put off by the banana leaf... try checking the frozen section, if you don't find it make the recipe without it!