🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Shrimp Pad Thai

393b2b53 d837 4b00 b53a 903631a35c21  5114668571 3bd186aa3d z

I have a question about the recipe "Shrimp Pad Thai" from mtlabor.

Is there an alternative to tamarind concentrate? I have tamarind juice. Could I reduce that? Or is there an online source for purchasing the concentrate... I have no ethnic grocery stores near me. Thanks!

asked by Alexandra Stafford about 6 years ago

396e22f3 817c 45f5 a191 70afd9b017c3  notgood

I've actually substituted lime juice for tamarind before and although the taste is a little different, it still comes across as a tasty pad thai!

80c8d252 05ad 4f0a 8d87 5bbdefe65aa4  astafford

Awesome, good to know! Thanks.

8bc4ee2f fdf7 4582 8c8d 47ee724305d3  fb avatar

There are no real substitutes for either of those sauces, although you can dilute the tamarind paste. The fish sauce is a distinctive Thai flavor and necessary for authentic Thai dishes. You could make Pad Thai without them, and it could be very tasty, but it wouldn't be pad thai. The good news is that those spices are quite commonplace, and can easily be ordered over the internet. For instance, Amazon has a huge selection of Thai spices and condiments.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

Our Safeway actually now sells the pods in the vegetable section. Have you looked? You take out the seeds, soak in hot water and push the goo through a strainer. But we have also purchased a whole block of seeds and pulp which lasts in the fridge for a really long time- longer, it seems, than the jars of concentrate.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

To be honest, I've never used tamarind in pad thai. Not to say it can't / shouldn't be done, but you can definitely make a good one without it and not miss it. Compensate with fish sauce, lime juice & brown (or, more traditionally, palm) sugar to taste.