What ingredients/dressing to add to room temp salad of blanched kale and roasted turnip?

Food52 Alum

asked about 8 years ago

nutcakes

If you have sherry vinegar, I think that would be great to use in viniagrette. It just screams out to me.

Michael Hoffman
Michael Hoffman

Food52 Alum

@nutcakes Done. I agree. Just a sherry vinaigrette? Any other ingredients?

Pecans! Or some other nut. + Some roasted carrots, cut into little chunks. You need more contrast in color and texture. The sweetness of the carrots will be a nice counterpoint to the somewhat spicy notes in the turnips. Sounds good!! ;o)

iuzzini

raisins or currants and toasted pignolis (pine nuts) if you have them :)

askann

I'm going a different direction: crushed garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, scallions. Maybe some grated ginger.

Michael Hoffman
Michael Hoffman

Food52 Alum

I'm soaking some currants in sherry vinegar right now. Nuts sound great, but the rest of the meal is so rich that I think I'll leave them out. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

A bit of prepared or grated horseradish in that sherry vinaigrette couldn't hurt with the kale.

Outstanding suggestion, pierino. I like askann's idea, too. Michael, are you using real currants, or those little imposter Zante raisins? A true currant is nice and tart, and just lovely when plumped with sherry vinegar. ;o)

iuzzini

AntoniaJames- I had no idea about the Zante raisins! I love Food52. :)

Bevi

How about an olive oil/balsamic vinegar/maple syrup/country mustard dressing?

Bevi, now that sounds really, and I mean *really* really good. ;o)