A question about a recipe: Pear-Filled Cowboy Coffee Cake

AJ -- I have all of the ingredients for your coffee cake on hand except for the wheat germ. Do you think an equal amount of almond meal would work here? Or do you have other suggestions? Can't wait to try this!

• Posted by: EmilyC
  • September 22, 2011
C0866a5c f0c3 4737 b60c 05e085abc4cf  110920 46
Recipe question for: Pear-Filled Cowboy Coffee Cake

AntoniaJames September 22, 2011

Yes, that would work fine. Or how about roasting some rolled oats on the top shelf of your oven until they're just light brown? I might chop up them up a bit after they've cooled off, so as to get a bit of texture without it being too obvious. I'm so glad you want to make this! ;o)

EmilyC
EmilyC September 22, 2011

AJ -- I just pulled this out of the oven and it smells divine! I intended to make it tomorrow but I couldn't wait. Plus, now I can have some for breakfast with my coffee! I ended up using oat flour in place of the wheat germ. I didn't have almond meal after all. Your suggestion about the toasted oats is a great one, too. I'll report back after the taste test in the recipe comments!