The sugar that is brown is likely beet sugar that's had some molasses (so someone somewhere knows what it is) added to it because beets contain no molasses. In a pinch, it will do.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I am unfamiliar with Buenos Aires but if you can find Black Treacle it is basically molasses. It's a British product but I have seen it in a number of grocery stores serving communities that are not British.

Perhaps FrancesRenHuang, a food52 member in Buenos Aires, would know. You should be able to contact her through her food52 profile. She's a great resource!! (And such a helpful person, too.) ;o)

PhillipBrandon

Across the way in Chile, we've made great use of Chancaca. It's sold in bricks that we break up and use 1:1 for Dark brown sugar.

PhillipBrandon