🔕 🔔

Lebanese cuisine question

My favorite Lebanese restaurant would serve a creamy aioli-like dipping sauce with their shrimp kabobs. It was intensely garlicy, and when I once asked how they made it, they told me tons of garlic cloves in a blender with olive oil. Of course, when I tried to replicate at home, it didn't even remotely resemble theirs. Anyone out there a) know what this is called, and b) know how to make it?
thanks!

asked by Sugar On My Tongue almost 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I love Lebanese food, I found this recipe for a Lebanese mayo thats used with all sorts of meats and vegetables. I don't know if this is what you are speaking of, hope this helps.
http://www.tasteofbeirut...

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Normally that dip would be made out of many, many, many lightly roasted cloves of garlic (you want them to lose the raw bite and their crunch but retain their shape, colour and flavour,) lots of olive oil, and, if needed, a little mashed potato or whte bread crumbs only to give it a little body. It is delicious and addictive.

70c30ec0 fa36 42cd a600 899151dd1379  fb food composite1

Thanks to you both for the great tips. I'll be whipping this up soon!

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Try adding some yogurt...it could work,it's used a lot on arab food.It could also be "tahine",wich is a sesame sauce that may come some times mixed with garlic sauce.You may find them both canned or bottled on any arab food store.But I think it could very well be "homus bi tahine" wich is a paste made with tahine,garlic,lime juice,salt,black pepper,olive oil and boiled chickpeas you peal then blend with all of the above along some of the water they were cooked on.This is very "garlicky" and some people like it more "dippy" than "pasty"...I love it anyway it comes my way!Hope it helps...

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12

That Lebanese dipping sauce is called "toom", usually served with chicken kebab or others. It gets its creamy consistency from cooked potatoes. I have made this recipe and it was the real thing but I must alert you, it makes a lot, so unless you are feeding a crowd, make less
http://www.food.com/recipe...

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

This one is awesome - http://www.food52.com/recipes.... Made it many times and the sauce never fails to please.

Sorry - that link doesn't seem to be working. Try this one - http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Many restaurants add egg whites to the "toom"
As well as a bit of lemon juice, potato or soaked white bread!