Question about types of frosting.

Before I make a whole batch of buttercream and realize what it actually is, what's the difference between the frosting usually on cupcakes and cake buttercream? I believe buttercream's lighter because it has egg whites, but I don't usually use frosting when I bake, so I don't really know.

asked by nka2 about 7 years ago

You can use any frosting you like for cake on cupcakes. What flavor cupcakes are you making? I've used this Ina Garten frosting recipe on both the coconut cupcakes it goes with and chocolate cupcakes with great success. It's easier to make than a traditional buttercream, but not quite as cream cheesy as a traditional cream cheese frosting.
http://www.foodnetwork...

Summer of Eggplant

That Ina recipe is my go to frosting recipe! Delicious! I put it on every and any thing as well; strawberry cake, lemon cake, coconut cake, red velvet, whatever, people will love you for it.

If you're making chocolate cupcakes and you want chocolate frosting, this is my go-to frosting--ganache. (I've never made the cupcakes but the frosting is fabulous.)
http://www.foodnetwork...