🔕 🔔

Can I freeze cooked brisket if it was frozen before cooking?

asked by zametkin about 6 years ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Yes. It would be a good ideal to slice it first, and to skim the fat from the pan juices, then either place it in a plastic storage container, burp out the air, and freeze, or place it in a re-sealable freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and freeze.

I agree with the above method if you were to freeze, but I'm not sure I'd freeze meat that was already frozen and defrosted, though I suppose you don't have much to lose if the alternative is to toss it. In the worst case scenario, you don't use it if it's not to your liking when you defrost it again.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

The USDA even says that you can refreeze foods without cooking. I wouldn't go that far, but I'd have no problem with thawing, cooking, and then refreezing, especially if it's done within a couple of days after cooking and you didn't let it sit out at room temperature for more than a couple of hours.